10 reasons to have a fire blanket
Defined as a safety element, flame retardant blankets also known as fire blankets, are used to fight against fire connotes and avoid possible burns during the evacuation process of a fire. The specific regulation of the product itself, UNE-EN 1869:1997, defines it as "sheets of flexible material destined to extinguish small fires by suffocation". So it is very important to be sure that the acquired fire blanket meets this regulation.
All fires start with a small fire, and a fast action could avoid a catastrophe. Thus, the 10 reasons why we recommend having a fire blanket are the following:
- Because it is an active protection system against fire of easy and fast action.
- Because it is effective before any type of fire (Class A, B, C, D, F/K).
- Because it is effective to block heat and act as a barrier when escaping a fire; just cover with the fire blanket and run to a safe place.
- Because people whose clothes are firing could be covered with it and stop the flames, saving their lives in this way.
- Because due to its easy use and lightness, it could be used by everyone, including people with limited physical capacities.
- Because they are economic and only need to be placed in a visible and easy access place.
- Because due to its versatility they could be used in professional sectors as well as domestic use (industrial kitchens, laboratories, oil centers, domestic kitchens, cars, caravans…).
- Because it does not require any maintenance. Just replace it when used.
- Because, in the case of frying pans or fryers burning, it is the safest system to stop fires caused by oil. Just cover the frying pan or fryer with a fire blanket and let the fire die.
- Because every time there are more organizations that recommend it as a complement of security systems against fire including it in their manuals of Security Systems and Risk Prevention basing in Real Decree 2267/2004, among others.