Fires and explosions in welding: risks and preventive measures
The most common causes for fire and explosion risks that an operary could be subjected during welding jobs, could be:
- Welding sparks projections
- Electric arc inherent from welding process
- Manipulation and/or gas leaks (acetylene, oxygen, methane, propane, butane, hydrogen, etc.)
- Incorrect use of welding torches or any equipment, like pressure cuffs (compressors, etc)
- Serious risk of non-consumed oxygen detatchment, in oxicut operations in enclosed spaces
Thus, it is necessary to have means to prevent and avoid risks and disasters, like:
- Colective protection: Use of fire blankets for welding protection to avoid sparks falling over combustible materials.
- Third party protection: Use of protection screens and welding curtains to isolate and create working spaces safer and to protect third parties against this risk.
- Environment protection: Powder extinguishers and fire blankets, have their application in case of fires as active elements against fire.
- Cleansing maintenance: this is an aspect to care before, during and after the job, revising after the welding operation to see if there are not spark incandescent particles that could start a fire.
Texfire offers a flame retardant range oriented to welding protection that includes fire blankets, in three levels of protection, according to temperature, distance and welding technique worked, welding protection screens and flame retardant accesories for individual protection, like flame retardant welder bandana and apron for welders, pillow for welders, flame retardant, impermeable and slip-resistant thought to ease welders a higher comfort when working in uncomfortble positions.